- Circular Polarizer Filter
- 1.25x Filter Factor, 0.3 Stop
- Helps to Eliminate Reflections and Glare
- Reduces Haze in Landscapes
- Greater Color and Tonal Saturation
- 16-Layer Nano Multicoating
- Optical Glass
- Thin, Aluminum-Alloy Filter Ring
- 72mm Front Filter Threads
- Plastic Case
The Hoya 72mm HD3 Circular Polarizer Filter helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizing filter arranges, and filters, this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A circular polarizer only differs from a linear polarizer in that it contains a quarter wave plane in addition to the linear polarizing filter. The addition of this quarter wave plane is to circularly polarize the linearly polarized light for the use of auto focus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polarizer, auto focus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarized, it permits the use of these functions.
While providing over 92% light transmission, 8 layers of anti-reflection nano coatings on each side, for a total of 16 layers, are applied to the Hoya 72mm HD3 Circular Polarizer Filter. These coatings offer a high degree of protection to the filter substrate and help it to stay clean for longer than uncoated filters. The nano coating formula associated with HD3 Circular Polarizer filters results in an improved beading effect when in contact with water for greater cleaning efficiency and is also effective with regard to oil and stains while also helping to prevent scratches.
- Helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface.
- Polarizing filters arrange, and filter, directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light.
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colors.
- Strongest effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun.
- Circular polarizers are ideal for use with digital cameras and autofocus lenses where a linear polarizer will often disrupt auto exposure and focus features.
- 8-layer nano multicoated on each side, for a total of 16 layers, provide an improved beading effect with water for more efficient cleaning that is also effective with regard to oil and stains while helping to prevent scratches.
- Approximately 92% average light transmission.
- Constructed from optical glass for clarity and color fidelity.
- 1.25x filter factor reduces exposure by 0.3 stops.
- Thin and durable aluminum-alloy filter ring minimizes the potential for vignetting when used with wide-angle lenses.
- Plastic filter case for storage and transport.
|Filter Type ||Circular Polarizer |
|Filter Factor ||1.25 (0.3 Stop) |
|Shape ||Circle |
|Circular Size ||72 mm |
|Front Thread / Bayonet ||72 mm |
|Filter Material ||Glass |
|Coating ||Multi-Coated |
| Packaging Info |
|Package Weight ||0.15 lb |
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH) ||4.3 x 3.6 x 0.6" |
In the Box
Hoya 72mm HD3 Circular Polarizer Filter
- Plastic Filter Case
- Limited 5-Year Warranty
All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.